Thursday, October 1, 2009

Adventures in Plumbing

I swear, sometimes the universe is just out there conspiring against you! My house is slowly but surely falling apart...it makes me wonder if there's some rule that at the 5 1/2 year mark everything needs to be replaced. My garbage disposal is going to get replaced this weekend - I'm not sure how old it is, but it has actually corroded through so that when you run it it sprays water like a sprinkler. In keeping with my trying to be more frugal (not to mention the fact that I don't have a CLUE what I'm doing when it comes to plumbing), I decided the best way to fix it would be to use duct tape on the holes.

Let me just say...this does not work. It does, however, force the water downward into a bucket so at least my entire undersink area does not wind up like the shore at low tide (meaning: damp with a weird, unidentifiable smell).

So, this weekend I'm digging in...going to buy a new disposal and attempt to put it in by myself. I should blog about how that goes, because I'm sure it's going to be interesting!

Then, this morning my toilet tank decided to quit holding water. I think before too long the sound of running water is going to put me on anti-anxiety pills...when I heard that sound as I climbed out of the shower this morning, my whole gut clenched because I thought I had just fixed this problem a few months ago! So apparently it's back to the drawing board. Here's hoping I don't have to take the entire inside of the tank apart again, and that it's just the flapper.

I am so wishing right now that I were back to renting!

1 comment:

Michelle Edwards said...

Best of luck! I have no idea how plumbing stuff works either...