Sunday, October 25, 2009

New Volunteer Venture

This morning I had plans to go volunteer at a local no-kill cat shelter - it's one of the activities under Metro Volunteers, the group I've done some volunteering with in the past, and I'd wanted to check out the animal shelter but hadn't been able to get it to mesh with my schedule.

Unfortunately, this morning I woke up with a migraine (becoming way too common for my liking) so I thought for a few minutes that maybe I shouldn't go. And then I thought of getting to play with all those cats, and my decision was made. It's true, probably not the best decision...driving when you've got those visual auras is really, really hard...but it was so worth it.

The work part of our detail involved wiping down all the surfaces in the shelter. The place houses approximately 160 cats at any given time, so there is a constant need to clean. There was a fairly large group of us, and it was great meeting some new people. Seems like anytime I volunteer with Metro Volunteers, I meet really cool people, so added perk to the work! It didn't take very long for my partner and I to clean the room that we were assigned to, and the second half of our two hours was supposed to be spent socializing the cats. You got it - I volunteered to play with and pet all the 160 kitties who needed attention. Hard work, right?

I met some very friendly adult cats who were determined to be picked up (they must have come from the same gene pool as Lucy). I found some standoffish ones, and there was actually a room for the shy kitties and one for those who could get sick if they had contact with the other cats. And best of all, there was a kitten room! I'll admit I spent the better part of my socialization time being climbed on by kittens of all shapes and colors...they were so cute and tiny! One curled up in my lap to be petted, and a few minutes later a big white one (not a kitten, just one of the cats that liked to hang in the kitten room) laid down right on top of the little kitten who was already there, lol. Guess he decided that my lap belonged to him!

A few were complete spazzes (btw, did you know that word's in the dictionary??), leaping off all four feet at once, or sitting there completely calmly before bounding across the room and jumping on another kitten. And then - I found the most darling orange boy, who settled into my arms, flipped over, and went to sleep! Oh...if only I could have taken him, but my house is too small for two cats and I know it. I held that little guy forever, I just love it when they choose you...and then I handed him off to someone looking to give a cute little male kitten a home.

Anyway, it was a great volunteer opportunity and I can't wait to participate again. Next time I need to remember to take my camera, and I can post pics of the cute ones who borrow me for the hour.

PS - Lucy smelled me for the first 20 minutes I was home. It was the guilt sniff...but in the end it was fine. She knows I'm wrapped around her paw.

1 comment:

Nikus said...

You are so good! I would have wanted to bring them all home.