Thursday, September 3, 2009

Time Traveler's Wife

After having a very hectic week (which still isn't over), I was grateful to get a break last night for some entertainment. I drove down to the Springs and met my SIL Asha for a girls movie night, and we went to see The Time Traveler's Wife. As adaptations go, I thought this was one of the best that I've seen in a long time. There were, of course, some of my favorite scenes from the book missing, but I understand they can't translate an entire 546 page novel to the screen. However, in terms of what they were able to bring to life, they really caught the essence of the novel without veering away from the plot like too many other adaptations do (Confessions of a Shopaholic, anyone? Not even CLOSE to the book). The movie is very definitely not an action flick, so it's not as fast paced or high-drama as what it seems like people expect. But the pace of the movie fits for the story that's being told.

I love how unique the plotline is for this novel, and even re-reading the book close to the viewing of the movie didn't take anything away for me. This one is a must-own when it comes out, and is totally worth seeing if you have a chance.

1 comment:

Nikus said...

Shopaholic was not any where as good as the book or close to it at some points! Very disappointing! Glad this sounds closer to the jist of the novel!