Friday, October 2, 2009

Avs Game - Opening Night

I am one lucky girl. Every now and then (and more then than now) my job will net me some awesome perks, and last night - Avs Opening Night - was a prime example.

My friend Dawn and I went to the game and tried to make it to the party beforehand which my fabulous rep invited us to. We finally made it in close to the end of the party, but still made it in time to enjoy a premium adult beverage each and that fantastic spread offered by Capital Grille (if you've never been there, it's definitely a treat). All of this happened under arena and on the level of the ice, and the decor was really beautiful - maroon table clothes (of course!) and ice blue lights shining everywhere.

Finally, we hustled upstairs because of the ceremony...they were retiring Joe Sakic's jersey number and raising it to sit beside Bourke and Roy's numbers at the rafters. It was such a neat thing to be a part of - they tracked his whole entrance to the arena, through the locker room, greeting teammates and coaches, and then the speeches and presentations with his whole family on hand. I can't believe that Super Joe is retiring, but I suppose in the long run a 20 year career in a sport that can be as rough as hockey is really a pretty great achievement.

But...for all of us fans, he'll be missed!


The game itself went well - I think it was more that the Sharks sucked than the Avs were really excellent at this point - but we scored quickly and kept it up. Avs won, 5-2.

Ahhhh - I LOVE hockey games!!!

No comments: