Tuesday, June 9, 2009

19 Minutes Book Review

I just finished Jodi Picoult's book 19 Minutes for a second read. This book is powerful, and especially so for someone who was only slightly removed from Columbine in 1999. As I get older, I find that difficult subject matters such as those discussed in this book affect me more and more. All I can figure is that I'm now at a place where I can better understand - and allow myself to feel - the emotions in the storyline. The fear, the changed lives, and the humanity are all so convincingly portrayed - and so much of it brings ghosts of reminders from news articles read in the past. Last time I read this book, I must have been more protective of myself and did not allow myself to be pulled into the story. This time I cried.

It's well written, the way all of Jodi Picoult's books are...but this one is hard to read as just a story when so much school violence is splashed across the news. Truly, it's a thought-provoking storyline taken from an unusal angle and is worth the read; however, I do think with this particular book it's important to know what the storyline is before starting, so that you can mentally prepare.

Anyone who wants more details let me know...always happy to discuss books!!

No comments: