Sunday, March 6, 2011

Romp to Stomp 2011

Romp to Stomp Out Breast Cancer was this last weekend in Frisco, and it was a really great event! Our team, Snowbunnies for Breasts, wound up with a grand total of 17 snowshoers, which is awesome for a first time team. We had novices right up through experienced snowshoers, but since the event was at the Frisco Nordic Center, it was perfect for everyone. The trail was packed down, but if you went off the trail (like one fellow ahead of us) there was a possibility of going in up to your waist! Personally, I would have been tempted to try it...but knowing me, it would have taken me 20 minutes to dig myself out...and I get enough of that with powder skiing :)

A few of us got up early enough to join in the pancake breakfast at 8am...and I will definitely plan to be there early again next year. It was completely worth giving up the extra 1/2 hr of sleep to have breakfast and coffee and wander around to collect loot at all the booths...plus, the parking was stellar. With 4 in our car, we were able to park right at the center!

To round out the fun of the weekend, there was also the sharing a hotel room between four of us...two of the ladies are sorority sisters from college and one was someone I'd met only once before, but we had a ball! It was the closest thing to a sleepover I've had in years. You know, where you start talking and then everyone starts laughing and can't stop. So fun!

Finally, I can't forget to share how beautiful the Nordic Center is up there. The scenery is amazing! I've skied Breckenridge a couple of times in the past, but when you're skiing you're literally on the side of the mountain and it can make it harder to appreciate the views. From the Nordic Center, and at the slower pace allowed by snowshoes, it was impossible to miss the surrounding mountain ranges and appreciate a Saturday outside of Denver.

All in all, this is an event that I'm looking forward to organizing again next year and hopefully we'll have the same level of interest next March!!

The team

No comments: