Monday, January 18, 2010

What to say?

I know that I've had less of a presence on here over the last month or so, but I really haven't had all that much to report on. I suppose it's the downside of having a blog that's not dedicated to a particular topic or not having kids yet to report on!

But...I suppose even everyday life can deserve an update from time to time.

These last few weeks have been hectic, but not for the usual reasons. Work's been busy, absolutely, and I'll probably be dedicating some evenings to it this week. But the hectic part last week was a baby blanket that I was crocheting. I have fallen in love with crocheting as a craft and like having something to do with my hands while I watch TV in the evening...and it was my forgetting my own afghan at my parents house over the holiday that inspired me to create a baby blanket for Lande's sister's shower this last weekend.

It turned out really well, all yellow, green and white. But...there was a funny part that I did not think through in terms of the two weeks I gave myself to make the blanket. As the rows get longer, the time it takes to finish a row gets longer. That's right - seems like a pretty basic assumption, but it was going so well and quickly at the beginning that it didn't occur to me that wrapping it up might take all the time I had in the last week! I'd look and think, only 10 more rows! And then, it hit me that each row was taking an hour to complete, lol!

Anyway, it was an excellent learning experience and I can't wait to do another one.


Lande was here over the weekend, and things are going well. He's easy to be with, I really enjoy his company, we discovered the joy of playing Lego Starwars together (not a bad Saturday night activity!), and are making plans for the next few visits. The hard part these days it taking him back to the airport. This long distance thing is hard...not tough to commit to, but hard to be without the other person when you're so happy spending time together.

The only other thing I'll make a quick note of here is that my grandmother was admitted to hospice over the weekend. She's had Alzheimers for some time now, and unfortunately this is the nature of the beast...but she will be the first grandparent I've lost. I know how fortunate I am that all four (well, technically 5, I love my step-grandmother!) grandparents are still alive, but I'm not completely sure what to do with this situation since there won't be a service and therefore no need to go back east to see my grandad. If you're reading, say a little prayer for my family as we go through these next few transitions.

Not meaning to be a downer of post today, but wanted to share a little of what's been going on...hope everyone is having a decent start to the week.

3 comments:

Nikus said...

Oh sister, I have been there. You are very lucky to still have 5, I am down to 2. Visit with her as often as possible, because this time may pass you by quickly. Thinking of you guys and sending love!

Michelle Edwards said...

Thanks for the update on your life! I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. I've lost two of my three grandparents. It's a tough thing to go through, but the memories will last a lifetime and will continue to bring a smile to your face and bring warm fuzzies to your heart. Let me know if you need anything. You & your family are in my thoughts.

Michelle said...

You ladies rock - thanks for supportive words. It's just such an odd feeling, especially since I won't have an opportunity to go back before I think all will be over. I'm more concerned for my dad, really - he's such a stoic New Englander. But thanks and I'll definitely reach out if I need to chat...