Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Bolder Boulder 2009

So I decided that since I live in Denver I should run in the Bolder Boulder at least once before I die. Since I'd done a 5k run earlier in the month, I thought that this should be the year to go see what all the hoopla was about!

I will fully admit that there was some buyer remorse once I registered (is that possible?)...I mean, it's not terribly appealing to know you're going to get up at 5:30am on your day off just to go run 6 miles. And I was cursing the experience as I was driving 20 miles per hour up Highway 36, just to park 1.3 miles from the start of the race. But once I actually made it to the start line, it was really hard not to be impressed by not only the sheer number of people but by the obviously well thought out organization that comes with 31 years of practice!

The run itself was broken into waves based on your expected running time, so that you're less likely to either run over the people who are walking or be run over by those who could easily lap you. And I loved that you were timed via a shoe tag which registered electronically each time you reached a mile mark. Being my first real race, I'd never seen anything like that and was completely amused (and have to admit, it made me feel all runner-esque :-)). Then, they actually started each wave by firing off the stater gun...totally amps up the excitement as soon as you approach the start!

Along the entire length of the course, there were people cheering, making breakfast in their front yards on camp stoves, belly dancing (actually saw two different groups), and handing out everything from beads to Dorritos and Bloody Marys. This event appeared to be quite the Memorial Day party in Boulder!

The very best part of the experience was the end. Not just because the race was finally over and I could limp up into the stands and not think about the 1.5 mile walk back to the car...but because winding up in Folsom Field with most of the stands full of people is a pretty crazy feeling. CU Band Day's got nothing on this!

All in all, even with the early morning and the parking challenges...I might actually consider doing it again. Who knows - I might even be able to improve on my own time!

No comments: